After a lot of searching the internet and quite a few phone calls, I finally found a map printing company that was capable of printing an OS map to 1:76 scale. The map is printed onto several A0 sheets, which I wanted to join together to give an idea of the overall size, and where any necessary compromises would be. I contacted my local village hall, and for a small fee I was able to piece it all together.
It always amazes me how big the real world is, and to see such a small section of the world in scale on paper feels exciting.
My next step was to consider where the baseboard joins will be, and where the physical boundaries of the layout are. I’ve drawn the baseboard sections onto the map, taking into consideration where the turnouts are and making sure there are no baseboard joins in awkward places. Now, when the wood is cut, it should be clear where the contours of the layout are, and these can be cut to the appropriate shapes.
There are only two small compromises that have arisen. The two turnouts and the single slip in the centre of the layout will have to be moved about 4 inches towards Tasker Street, so that the turnouts are not close to the baseboard edge. The other is that the sidings at Tasker Street will exclude the furthest two sidings as it’s just not feasible to include them within a sensible baseboard size.
Overall, I am really pleased that there will only be two minor compromises and I can now look forward to starting the baseboards.
This week my thoughts have turned to train formations, and in particular, the 6V70 Cliffe Vale to St. Blazey china clay working. Research has found that after the closure of the Bescot Curve in March 1993, the service was forced to go north via Walsall from Bescot, before heading south via the sutton park line and Washwood Heath. This is perfect for the time period I’m modelling, and I can now make use of a handful of the new Bachmann Polybulks.
The variation of wagons in the rake would often vary, but usually consisted of Polybulks and Clay Tigers. In addition, a VGA van or Cargowaggon would be added where bagged clay needed to be transported.
Power was normally provided by a pair of 37’s, although as many as four have been photographed, or a class 47. I’m planning on using a pair of ViTrains 37/4’s for this project, as I’m new to P4, and they are an easier conversion to start with than the Bachmann variety. Both will be in Railfreight Distribution triple grey livery, and suitably weathered.
Late last year, I decided to take the plunge into P4, and after much researching decided to build a scale model of Walsall Station down to Corporation Street and Tasker Street sidings. Walsall offers an interesting verity of locos and stock for operational and viewing interest, with a large amount of Bescot’s freight traffic passing through. The plan, originally 16ft long, now spans nearly 40ft with the addition of Tasker Street sidings. It’s certainly a long-term project!
The period I’ve always modeled is early 1990’s, but during this period Tasker Street (Walsall Freight Terminal as it was later known) was in an unused state. It wasn’t until EWS re-opened the sidings in the late 90’s, as an overflow for Wolverhampton Steel Terminal, that traffic again entered the terminal. After more thought and research, I decided to stick with the period of 1992/1993, as I would lose some interesting freight on the through line when gaining the later freight terminal.
The planning and basic research has already taken four months, and I’m sure it will be a while before construction of the first baseboards will commence. None the less, an exciting project!